Since I'm bored quite a lot on RuneScape, and I don't have that even low amount of moral fiber needed to turn off the computer and go do something constructive, I've decided to go out there and find out exactly what you should do when you're bored. There's also a seperate list for time-wasting. That's nearly as fun but a lot less productive. Note that this is my list, and some of these things you may find very boring indeed. If so, I'm sorry, and good luck with not being bored.
*Note: These aren't in order of boredom-averting-ness.
1. Play Minigames! There's thirty minigames waiting out there to be played by players like us. Many of them are fun, but unfortunately, some require an immense amount of time wasting. You can also get some decent rewards out of them. On top of that, who doesn't like getting free experience for having fun? (Good minigames include Fist of Guthix, The Agility Arena, The Fishing Trawler, and The Blast Furnace, but there are many others for you to try.)
2. Hock the junk in your bank on the Grand Exchange. You never know how much money you can make from those ranarr seeds that require some farming skill that you don't have the patience to get, and you might as well have the cash. You'd be surprised how fast things sell on the G.E. If it doesn't sell right away, and you have better stuff to sell, take it off.
3. Do Quests! Quests give you all sorts of useful rewards and take you to exotic new places you've never even heard of. Whether you enjoy them for the rewards at the end, or the trek to get there, everyone has a quest just for them.
4. Walk around mindlessly doing nothing. It's a very productive use of time, as it can get you new sound tracks, knowledge of where things are, and maybe meet some new friends! Other uses of it include meeting interesting NPC's, getting random quests you didn't know existed, and picking up junk.
5. Try your hand at the Achievement Diaries. They're easy and give you some pretty cool stuff. If you're not advanced enough to complete all of them, just do what you can, because the rewards are worth it and it's a break from the grind of leveling skills and such.
6. Go earn some Kudos at the Varrock museum. These require a little bit of brain power but little to no skill requirements. Even if you haven't completed all of the necessary quests, you can still earn enough Kudos for an experience bonus.
7. Find a high level person at a house portal and randomly follow them into their house. People shouting "House Party" are also good to follow. House parties can get you free food, good fun, new friends, and possibly a little reward for winning a game or something.
8. Go to the Party Room. Drop parties are lots of fun and you can just hop over to Falador to enjoy them. Even better, when a big drop party is going on, all the bankers in Runescape seem to know about it. Wouldn't it be lucky if you just went around popping balloons and you suddenly realize at the end that you picked up a granite plate body or an abbysal whip? It happened to me once (plate body).
9. Explore dungeons and kill monsters there. Similar to randomly walking around, this can get you decent items and a general RuneScape know-how. Also, you may gain some valuable combat experience and maybe even a new training spot!
10. Log off RuneScape. I haven't quite figured out to do this yet, but people have told me that a good way to avoid being bored on RuneScape is to log off and go read a book. It works! Or at least, I think it does! Maybe I'll go try it now.
*11. I know this is a top 10 list, but I needed to add this one. Surf the general store. Now with the Grand Exchange, people don't sell as much stuff there, but it's a good way to waste money and get some pretty good stuff there. But now, the time-wasting list.
1. Playing Castle Wars - you have to wait twenty minutes for each game to start. It's not even that fun anyway. Seriously, get over this game. Besides, there are no good rewards.
2. Helping people in "that sedate town where you begin your adventures", Lumbridge. You could probably earn more money for selling the things you have to make for them.
3. Reading books in your book shelf in your player-owned house. Seriously, you've already read them once. Why again?
4. Sit in the Grand Exchange yelling, "Selling or buying this or that, top or bottom price on the Exchange!" Few people buy from them, and if you really need something, go and get it!
5. Training Firemaking. Unless you really want to do Tears of Guthix or All Fired Up, forget about Firemaking. It is the most pointless skill. Period.
6. Stand and wait for a random event. Seriously, who would do that?
7. Canoe up and down the River Lum. Sounds kinda fun, but it'd get boring.
8. Walking around mindlessly - if you don't have an objective when you do this, it will be the most pointless thing, you'll ever do. If you do, then see first list #4.
9. Going on a Gnome Copter tour. Sounds very fun, but wastes time like crazy. Do it! Do it! If you want to waste time. But it is fun.
10. Training Firemaking - again. Seriously, that's how bad it is. Don't do it.